More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese, and sugar drinks are the only food or beverage shown to increase the risk.
Here are five things you can do to cut back on sugar drinks:
- Choose water whenever possible over soda and sugar drinks.
- At restaurants, skip the free refill. Switch to water or another unsweetened drink.
- If you like fizzy drinks, try alternatives like sparkling water with a splash of fruit juice or a lime wedge.
- Make sugar drinks a rare treat instead of a daily ritual. Treat them like you would treat candy bars or a piece of cake.
- Arm yourself with knowledge. Read nutrition labels to make better choices.