Will you hear the crunch on Tuesday, March 25?
Inspired by apple crunch events during Food Day 2013, Maryland Hunger Solutions is planning a state-wide, synchronized bite into an apple on Maryland Day, Tuesday, March 25, 2014.
Join us for Hear the Maryland Crunch to show your support for ensuring that every child in Maryland has access to a healthy breakfast. Children who eat a healthy breakfast start their day ready to learn and therefore perform better in school. Research has also shown that these students are less likely to be overweight and are less likely to be absent from school.
In addition to participating in the event with your co-workers, community, or local school (be sure to sign-up on our website!), you can also support this event by:
- Encouraging local schools to participate in the event by signing up on our website
- Joining a school to crunch an apple together on March 25
- Taking a photo or video crunching an apple and sending it to us or sharing it on social media -- #HearTheCrunch @MarylandHunger (Suggested script: “Hi, I start everyday with a healthy breakfast and I think that every child in Maryland should have access to a healthy breakfast!” or “Hey Maryland, do you hear the crunch?”)
- Providing a donation that can be used as an incentive for schools to participate and/or that expands access to healthy food in schools. (Some examples include a school breakfast party, tickets to a sporting event, breakfast with a celebrity, a school salad bar, or teaching materials such as books, videos, bulletin board supplies, etc.)
- Participating in our Paper Apple Campaign and sharing your thoughts about why you think all kids should have access to a healthy breakfast. (Please see our website for more information.)
With your help, we can ensure that everyone in Maryland “Hears the Crunch!”
Author bio: Tam Lynne Kelley is a Social Worker in Baltimore, Maryland. She believes that access to healthy food is a human right. email@example.com.